Cauliflower Stuffed Acorn Squash
This is a family favorite that has a reduced glycemic index and is low carb. This is great for family and friends with diabetes. It also tastes great. You get that extra serving of vegetables and reduce the grains!
2 acorn squash, halved and seeds removed
1 head of cauliflower
1 lb ground beef
1 pkg of mushrooms (any kind will do, I used buttons)
1 apple, diced
1 yellow onion, diced
½ C. pecans, chopped
2 T coconut aminos
¼ cup of coconut milk
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1 T. balsamic vinegar
1 t. garlic powder
¼ t. dried minced garlic
¼ t. cinnamon
¼ t. ginger salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cut acorn squash in half and pull out of the seeds. Place open side down on a cookie sheet or baking dish and bake for about 40 minutes or until you press on the outside skin and it gives a bit.
- While the squash cooks, rice your cauliflower by throwing it in a food processor. I used a shredding attachment to better rice the cauliflower.
- Once the cauliflower is riced down, add your cauliflower to a saucepan over medium heat, along with 2 T. s of water and 2 T. s of coconut aminos.
- While your “rice” is cooking, pull out a large skillet and add your chopped onions and apples. Let cook for about 3 minutes then add ground beef. Cook until beef is halfway cooked through, then add in mushrooms. Let ingredients cook down for a bit longer, then add your seasonings, coconut milk, and vinegar to the saucepan. Mix thoroughly.
- When the cauliflower rice and beef mixture is also done the cooking, add the two of them together in either a large bowl or directly to the beef pan if there is room.
- Add your chopped pecans to the mixture. Once the squash is done, turn squash over, stuff with beef and rice mixture into your squash.
- Bake uncovered for around 8 minutes or until heated through.
This dish can be served as a meal – or compliment with a green salad. Bon Apetite!
Stuffed Acorn Squash with Cauliflower rice recipe
Stuffed Acorn Squash with Cauliflower rice recipe | Serves 4
Type: Main dish
Keywords: Stuffed Acorn Squash, Cauliflower rice, recipe